We are looking for an enthusiastic experienced web developer to join a rapidly expanding company in Northampton.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby on Rails code
- Integration of data storage solutions
- The ability to problem solve to identify issues, obstacles, and opportunities and then develop and implement effective coding solutions.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organisation and automatization
Experience with Ruby on Rails
Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
Good understanding of server-side templating languages and of server-side CSS pre-processors such as Sass
Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful
Familiarity with development aiding tools such as Rubygems, rake tasks and bundler
Familiarity with continuous integration
Excellent database design, SQL query building and optimisation, including PostgreSQL
Familiarity with Ubuntu / Linux server configuration and maintenance, including NGINX and Passenger
Networking and configuration, including DNS management, IP configuration and relevant security considerations
A passion and knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code
Excellent API integrations, including HTTP request/response, JSON
Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
Able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
Proficient understanding of code versioning using Git
Testing - To contribute in conjunction with other members of the team to ensure all software errors are identified and corrected.
Quality Assurance - To ensure all aspects of work meet customer expectations and company quality standards with guidance from the line manager
Communication - ensure a good level of teamwork, highlighting issues in good time and proactively suggesting solutions to resolve problems
Support - Assist with resolution and reproduction of user software problems.
Work Organisation - Effective prioritisation and meeting deadlines
Individual Development - Take ownership of personal development.
- Recognised IT qualification
- Knowledge of testing processes and methodologies
- At least four year’s industry relevant experience
- Communication skills - experience of communicating with clients and line management.
- Demonstrable accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of the following languages / technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- Website architecture
- Linux server management
- SOAP (including ASP. NET/WCF) / REST service integrations
- Maths and English qualification
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent problem solver
- Highly organised and methodical
- Projects on Github would be favourable
- Passionate in delivering a great product.
- A methodical and conscientious approach to documentation.
- A positive approach to problem solving and closing tasks off.
- Ability to be flexible.
- A driven approach to progression.